The Meatmaster is a composite sheep breed in South Africa. It is bred as non-fat tailed sheep for top meat production. The Meatmaster offers farmers an excellent alternative with unique characteristics to meet the International market.
The Meatmaster Breeders established and developed a sheep breed as close to nature as possible and allow the sheep to perform under natural conditions. Nature thus selects the cream of the crop, ensuring that the Meatmaster soon becomes “Natures Money Maker”.
Aspects to Consider
In selecting the Meatmaster sheep, great emphasis were placed on two aspects:
- A Breed with the ability to keep the input cost low.
- A Breed with high fertility and production to maximize income.
- Highly fertile sheep
- Good mother instinct – rearing their lambs adequately on the veld, without supplementary nutrition
- Virile rams with excellent serving ability
- A strong herd instinct for protection
- Strong legs and a good walking ability
- Lambs that will reach a slaughter mass at 4 to 5 months of age
- Breeders are encouraged to breed sheep suited to their environment and conditions